Rapid Recap courtesy of Russell Hanson @rjhanson8
In one of Miami’s worst showings this season, the Hurricanes experienced a 20 point defeat at the Carrier Dome. DJ Vasiljevic was the only Hurricanes to reach double figures with 11. Elijah Hughes (Syracuse) led the way with 22 as the Orange got the 73-53 victory. Here’s what you need to know:
- There are more than 1,650 wins between Coach Larranaga (612) and coach Boheim (1,041) and both are top 100 in all time wins.
- Syracuse, just ten days ago, traveled to Cameron Indoor and upset #1 Duke in an overtime thriller.
- The Hurricanes struggled shooting all night ending up 20-59 (33.9%) and 8-29 (27.6%) from three. This was their worst shooting performance since they played Penn on December 4th.
- Chris Lykes was held below double figures for only the second time in 18 games this season. He scored eight while adding three rebounds and two assists.
- Syracuse hurt the Canes with an onslaught of threes. The Orange shot 47% and scored 42 of their 73 points from downtown. Syracuse’s 14 threes was a season high for a Miami opponent.
- The Hurricanes, led by Ebuka Izundu (10), out rebounded the Orange 39 to 28. This is only the seventh time in 18 games that Miami has out rebounded their opponent. This is the first such game that they have lost.
- This game was also only the second game this season that Miami has not led in the second half.
- Syracuse Junior Forward, Elijah Hughes, had 22 points along with three rebounds, three assists, three steals, and three blocks.
- Buddy Boheim (12) and Tyus Battle (10) also added double figures.
- Miami freshman Anthony Mack started the game hot, hitting his first two shot attempts, both threes. However, Mack would finish the game without scoring again. This was the fourth start of his career.
- DJ Vasiljevic, the only Hurricane to score double figures, has now hit at least one three in 31 straight games.
Another tough loss for the Hurricanes as Dewan Hernandez is STILL WAITING to hear from the NCAA on his eligibility. The Canes will return to action Sunday at home against Florida State. The game tips at 6pm and will be broadcast on ESPNU.