Happy hump day, Miami sports fans! Here’s a quick snapshot of the top stories for today.
1. Former Yankee added to Marlins’ front office: Marlins’ CEO, Derek Jeter announced Tuesday that his former teammate, Jorge Posada is joining the front office as an advisor. Much like Jeter, Posada spent his entire career in the Bronx before retiring after the 2011 season. Ironically, Posada was the final out in the 2003 World Series, when Miami last made the postseason.
2. Panthers asleep under the Stars: The Florida Panthers hosted the Dallas Stars on Tuesday night. Florida was shutout 3-0 despite out-shooting the Stars 30-19. Stars’ center, Tyler Seguin had two goals and an assist. Florida is now just 23-24-8 on the season, and have now lost two straight games. Florida is at home on Thursday, hosting the Flames.
3. Canes at home against Clemson: The U men’s basketball team is hosting the Clemson Tigers tonight. Miami is coming off a heartbreaking loss in overtime to the UNC Tarheels. Sadly, Miami is just 1-4 in their last five games. However, Clemson is the exact opposite. The Tigers have won four straight games and look to make it five tonight. Miami is currently two point underdogs. This game will be nationally broadcast on ESPN2. Tipoff 7:00 P.M.
4. Heat continue tour of Western US: The Miami Heat are in Dallas tonight to face off with the Mavericks. This road trip has been ugly for Miami. Miami is just 1-4 in their last five games including a blow-out loss to Denver. Dallas plays very well at home, posting a 20-8 record in Dallas. This will be game number one of the two game season series.
5. Marlins workouts begin: Yesterday we told you pitchers and catchers reported for the Marlins. Well today the first workouts begin for pitchers and catchers. Remember to keep your eyes on Sixto Sanchez, Will Stewart and Jorge Alfaro. The full squad reports to camp later in the week.