Happy Friday Miami!! Here’s your Friday/weekend preview:
1. Miami Heat Basketball
Heat take on Bucks: The Heat are in Milwaukee taking on the Bucks tonight. For Miami, they are just one game behind the Brooklyn Nets for the seventh seed in the Eastern Conference. As for Milwaukee, they are still the number one team in the East and have a two game lead. Miami won their last match-up against the Spurs and are 4-1 in their last five games. As for the Bucks, they lost to the Cavaliers their last time out, however are still above .500 in their last five games. Small-forward, Justise Winslow is still listed as out for the Heat. Potential MVP candidate, Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as day-to-day for Milwaukee. The Bucks lead the season series 2-1 and Miami looks to end the series in a tie tonight. Milwaukee won the last match-up 113-98 in Miami.
Heat on Saturday: The Heat are also in action tomorrow (Saturday) in the nation’s capitol. Miami will look to take the season series. Miami won the last match-up 115-109 in South Beach. Washington lost their game last night 113-108 to the Denver Nuggets.
2. Florida Panthers Hockey
Panthers win at home: The Florida Panthers played host to the Arizona Coyotes last night. Things were tied after the period number one, however the Panthers scored a goal in the second to go up 2-1. Defense-man, Mackenzie Weegar scored just this fourth goal of the season to go up 3-1. Arizona would answer that goal later in the period but an empty netter by Aleksander Barkov gave the Panthers a 4-2 victory. Arizona falls out of playoff contention with last night’s loss, whereas the Panthers keep their slim hopes alive.
Panthers in action Sunday: The Panthers stay at home this Sunday, when they host the Boston Bruins. The Bruins have locked up their playoff spot and the Panthers are looking to stay alive. The season series is tied 1-1 with Boston winning last time out 4-3.
3. Marlins finish up Spring Training: The Marlins will be rounding out their 2019 Spring Training this weekend. Today, they are in action against the Nationals in Jupiter at 7:05 P.M. Saturday, the Fish take on the Astros at home in Jupiter. Sunday, Miami will be on the “road” as they face off with the St Louis Cardinals. Opening Day is Thursday, March 28th in Miami.
Read Alex Peter’s article below for more:
4. NCAA Men’s tourney continues: Hope everyone’s brackets are (somewhat) still in tact. The men’s basketball tournament continues today with the second half of the round of 64 games. (10) Iowa and (7) Cincinnati get things started at 12:15 on CBS. Other games to watch are (13) UC Irvine and (4) Kansas Sate (2:00, TBS) (16) North Dakota State and (1) Duke (7:10, CBS) (16) Iowa and (1) North Carolina (9:20, TNT). The round of 32 gets underway Saturday and continues Sunday.
5. NCAA Women’s tournament: The Miami Hurricanes women’s basketball team tips-off their run at an NCAA championship tomorrow night in round one of the women’s basketball tournament. Miami matches up with 13 seed Florida Gulf-Coast who were the regular Atlantic Sun champions. The Eagles also won their conference tournament. For the Canes, they received an at-large bid after losing to Syracuse in the first round of the ACC tournament. Tip-off is at 9:00 P.M. and will be broadcast on ESPN2.
6. CollegeInsider.com Tournament
FIU Men’s Team: The Florida International Golden Panthers are in action Saturday against Texas State in round one of the CIT tournament. It isn’t the “Big Dance,” however it should still be considered a huge accomplishment for FIU and their first year coach, Jeremy Ballard. The Panthers are 3-2 in their last five games. Texas State is also 3-2 in their last five games. Tip-off is at 7:00 P.M. and will be streamed at this link here.
FAU Men’s Team Eliminated: As one team starts CIT play, another exits as the Owl’s basketball team wrapped up their post-season after losing in the first round of the CIT to the Charleston Southern Buccaneers, 68-66. FAU capped off a successful season and you can read a full recap of it here.
7. Miami Open continues: The Miami Open continues this weekend at Hard Rock Stadium. Number one men’s singles star, Novak Djokovic is in action today against unranked Bernard Tomic. Fourth ranked star, Roger Federer is in action Saturday against unranked Radu Albot. For the ladies, 10th ranked Serena Williams is in action today against unranked Rebecca Peterson.
Enjoy the weekend, everybody!!!