Happy Thursday everybody. Here’s what you need to know today in the world of Miami sports.
1. Heat halt Spurs: The Heat were in action in San Antonio last night. The Spurs were looking for their 10th straight win, however Goran Dragic and the Heat had other plans. At the half, Miami was up 62-47. San Antonio would try to climb back, however the deficit and the Heat were too much to handle. Miami goes on to win this game 110-105. D-Wade was honored before the game in what will be his last game in San Antonio. Miami sweeps the season series and sits a game behind Brooklyn for the seventh spot in the Eastern Conference.
2. Panthers host Coyotes: The Arizona Coyotes come to town to take on the Panthers. Arizona has been hanging around the playoff picture and currently claim the second wild card. As for Florida, they are looking to avoid being eliminated from playoff contention, however their chances look bleak with only nine games remaining. Tonight’s game is the season finale of the season series. The Panthers lost the last match-up 4-3 in a shootout. Puck drops at 7:00 P.M.
3. NCAA Tournament tips-off: NCAA Basketball’s “Big Dance” gets underway today. And although no local teams are “dancing” it is always enjoyable to find this year’s “Cinderella”. The East region starts thing off as 10 seed Minnesota takes on 7 seed Louisville. This game tips at 12:15 EST and will be on CBS. Other games that highlight Thursday’s action are (15) Bradley vs. (2) Michigan State (2:45 CBS), (12) Murray State vs. (5) Marquette (4:30 TBS), (16) Farleigh Dickinson against (1) Gonzaga (7:27 truTV), and (9) Baylor vs. (8) Syracuse (9:57 truTV) to round things out.
4. Miami Open continues: The Miami Open continues at Hard Rock Stadium today. One half of the Williams sisters is in action as Venus Williams takes on Dalila Jakupovic.
5. Dolphins meet with college QB: Although most Dolphins fans would love to see Kyler Murray suit up in the teal and orange, chances are that will not happen. However, Miami does seem to have their eyes on another quarterback propsect…Dwayne Haskins. Wednesday was Ohio State’s pro-day, and many teams, including the Dolphins were on hand. It is unknown whether Haskins will slip to the Dolphins at 13th overall, however that did not stop them from getting to know the likely first-round pick.
6. Marlins still streaking: The Fish were in action yesterday against the St. Louis Cardinals. Miami shut out the Cardinals 6-0. Pablo Lopez was magnificent, going six strong innings, allowing no runs and striking out five Cardinals’ batters. The Marlins are winners of 11 straight ballgames and look to make it 12 straight tomorrow against the Mets.