Happy Tuesday everyone. Here is the top stories in Miami sports today!
1. Hurricanes seeded fourth: The NCAA announced the women’s bracket seeding last night. The Miami women’s basketball team was given a fourth seed in the Portland region and will face off against thirteen seed Florida Gulf-Coast. Florida Gulf-Coast were the Atlantic Sun conference champions and are 5-0 in their last five games. Miami however, is just 2-3 in their last five games, but have home-court advantage in round one. The Eagles and Canes tip-off at 9:00 P.M. Eastern time. The game will be broadcast on ESPN2.
2. Heat upset Thunder in OKC: Thanks to a veteran presence, the Miami Heat took down the Oklahoma City Thunder last night in OKC. Veteran guards, Goran Dragic and Dwyane Wade came up big for Miami. Dragic notched a double-double scoring 26 points and 11 assists. Wade was also on fire with 25 points, four rebounds, and five assists. Paul George put up 31 points for OKC, despite being without Russell Westbrook who was suspended. Miami splits the season series with Oklahoma City and continue their four game road-trip in San Antonio Wednesday.
3. Panthers face Dallas: The Florida Panthers look to start a new winning streak tonight in the Lonestar State. The Panthers have been red-hot as of late winning four of their last five games. Florida is currently eight points behind the Columbus Blue Jackets for the second wild card out east. Meanwhile for Dallas is looking for points to gain ground on their first wild card spot as well as the Western Conference. However, Dallas could be without star goalie, Ben Bishop who is listed day-to-day. Dallas won the first match-up back in February 3-0. Puck drops at 8:30 PM.
4. Day Two of Miami Open: The annual Miami Open got underway yesterday at Hard Rock Stadium. Qualifiers began Monday and continue today.
5. Marlins red-hot: The Marlins are playing great baseball as of late having won ten games in a row. Miami beat the Nationals 7-1 yesterday in West Palm Beach. Caleb Smith went five strong innings with seven Ks and only one earned run. Meanwhile on the offensive side, Peter O’ Brien went 2-3 at the plate with an impressive five RBI and is looking to earn a roster spot come Opening Day. Although it is just Spring Training, Marlins fans should be impressed with the club’s recent play. Miami will look to make it 11 in a row today against the Mets in Jupiter.